Adobe has recently launched Magento 2.4.6, the most advanced version of the Magento Commerce and Open Source platform, on March 14, 2023. This update has raised the bar for eCommerce platforms by incorporating a wide range of new features and improvements that will undoubtedly improve how you conduct online business.
Curious to know what’s in store for you with this latest Magento version release? From enhanced security features to performance optimisations, Magento 2.4.6 has it all.
In this article, we will delve into some of the platform’s new features and the benefits it can bring to your growing ecommerce business.
What’s New in Magento 2.4.6 release?
The highly anticipated release of Magento 2.4.6 brings with it an array of new and exciting features. This latest version introduces support for PHP 8.2, taking your eCommerce experience to the next level. Moreover, significant performance and scalability enhancements ensure that your online store runs smoother and faster than ever before.
And with over 300 quality fixes and enhancements, the upgraded core composer dependencies and third-party libraries guarantee a more seamless experience.
Let’s explore some of the amazing new features awaiting you in Magento 2.4.6.
Magento continues to evolve with each release, delivering unparalleled performance and capabilities. The newest release introduces a number of enhancements that elevate the platform’s capabilities:
- Compatibility with PHP 8.2: The latest version of Magento is compatible with both PHP 8.2 and 8.1, which is still fully supported. This means developers can take advantage of the latest features in PHP 8.2 to improve performance and security.
- Support for Elasticsearch 8.x and OpenSearch v2.x: Magento now supports the latest versions of Elasticsearch and OpenSearch, which provide improved search capabilities and faster indexing.
- Upgrade of jQuery and Chart-js libraries: The jQuery library has been upgraded to version 10.32, while the Chart-js library has been upgraded to version 3.9.1. These upgrades provide better performance and new features to developers using these libraries in their Magento projects.
- Updated Laminas and Symphony dependencies: Magento has updated its dependencies on the Laminas and Symphony frameworks to support PHP 8.2, providing improved performance and compatibility with the latest version of PHP. Support for Composer 2.2.x, Redis 7.0.x, MariaDB 10.6, and OpenSearch v2.x: Magento now supports the latest versions of Composer, Redis, and MariaDB, as well as the latest version of OpenSearch.
- Upgrade of DHL schema: Magento has migrated to the latest version of the DHL schema (version 10.0) from version 6.2, providing better compatibility and improved performance.
- Upgrade of PHPUnit library: Magento now uses the latest version of PHPUnit (9.5.x) for testing, providing better testing capabilities and compatibility with PHP 8.2.
- Upgrade of RequireJS library: The RequireJS library has been upgraded to version 2.3.6, providing improved performance and new features.
- Removal of Zend framework, jQuery-migrate, and PHP 7.4 compatibility: Adobe has removed the Zend framework, jQuery-migrate, and PHP 7.4 compatibility from the Magento commerce codebase, providing improved compatibility with the latest versions of PHP and removing deprecated features.
- What does all of this mean? Well, in short, the platform enhancements made to the latest Magento version provide improved performance, compatibility, and new features to Magento developers, making it easier to develop and maintain Magento-based eCommerce websites.
Performance & scalability enhancements
Magento 2.4.6 has made significant improvements in terms of performance and scalability, including:
- Enhanced store operations for stores with more than 100 customer segments, resulting in faster operation speeds: In the previous versions of Magento, store operations for stores with more than 100 customer segments could be slow and time-consuming. However, with Magento 2.4.6, this issue has been resolved through performance enhancements that optimise the store operations. This means that stores catering to large customer segments can now enjoy faster and smoother store operations, resulting in improved customer satisfaction.
- Improved import capabilities with an impressive 100,000 records per minute performance boost. In Magento 2.4.6, the import performance has been boosted to a remarkable 100,000 records per minute. This is a significant improvement over the previous versions of Magento, making it easier and faster to import large amounts of data into the store. This enhancement not only saves time but also improves overall store performance.
- Accelerated order processing through database load-balancing techniques. In Magento 2.4.6, the order processing speed has been improved through database load balancing techniques. This technique balances the load on the database server, ensuring that the server doesn’t get overloaded with too many requests at once. This enhancement results in faster order processing and improves overall store performance.
- Optimised product grid performance by setting a new limit of 20,000 products displayed in the grid. In the previous versions of Magento, the product grid performance could slow down if too many products were displayed at once. However, in Magento 2.4.6, this issue has been resolved by setting a new limit of 20,000 products displayed in the grid. This optimisation ensures that the product grid performance remains smooth, even if the store has a large number of products.
These enhancements don’t just make your life as a store owner easier but also guarantee a better shopping experience for your customers. With the new version, stores with more than 100 customer segments can now enjoy faster and smoother store operations, thanks to the optimisation of store operations. Imagine how this will improve your customer’s experience and satisfaction.
Incredible advancements have been made in enhancing accessibility on the platform. Here are some of the highlights:
- The sign-in button has been made more accessible. The Sign-in button is one of the most important elements of any website or application. However, for users who rely on assistive technology, such as screen readers, the lack of clear and concise labelling can be a significant barrier to entry. To address this issue, the platform has made significant improvements to the Sign-in button’s accessibility features.
- The storefront buttons have undergone a transformation to make them accessible, unique, and more descriptive. The storefront buttons play a vital role in the user experience, as they enable users to navigate the platform’s features and functions. However, for users with disabilities, the lack of descriptive labels and unique functionality can be a significant barrier to accessing these features.
- The search filters have been specially designed to benefit users who rely on verbal descriptions as well as accessible labels. The “Has Video” checkboxes are now endowed with such labels, enabling all users to experience unparalleled accessibility.
- Keyboard-only users can easily access all page functionality now on the storefront. Every function on the storefront can now be easily accessed without needing a mouse or any other input device. This is an excellent example of the platform’s commitment to providing an all-inclusive and accessible experience for all its users.
Security fixes and enhancements
Your eCommerce security is of utmost importance, and Adobe is dedicated to enhancing the security of the Magento platform. In the latest Magento 2.4.6 release, Adobe has introduced a multitude of security fixes and platform security improvements to keep your online store secure and protected:
- Fixing eight security issues and platform security improvement: The latest Magento version has addressed eight security issues, including cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities and other security gaps. The platform’s security has also been improved to prevent future security issues.
- Specific auditing of activities: To address gaps in admin logs, Magento now inspects activities across grid views, mass actions, and exports, providing more specific auditing. This ensures that any suspicious or unauthorised activity can be traced back to its source.
- ReCAPTCHA support: The latest version of Magento has solved the issue of reCAPTCHA support during the checkout process. If any unexpected errors occur during payment processing, reCAPTCHA validation will no longer fail, ensuring a smooth and secure checkout process for customers.
- These security enhancements provide better protection against potential security threats and ensure that Magento’s e-commerce platform remains a secure choice for online businesses.
- By addressing security gaps and improving security measures, Magento helps its users avoid security breaches and data theft, safeguarding both their own and the customer’s sensitive information.
Unleashing the Power of Magento 2
This latest update brings a whole host of scalability, security, platform, and performance enhancements that will take your Magento store to the next level. As a Magento 2 merchant, you now have the prime opportunity to upgrade your store and make the most of the newly added cutting-edge features and functionalities.
This latest update has made it easier for merchants to build an epic Magento store, but the key to success lies in continuously improving and optimising the store to drive more traffic, improve conversion rates, and increase sales.
Envisage Digital is a leading Magento development agency that can help merchants build upon their existing site to drive more customers, improve conversion, and ultimately add more to their bottom line. By partnering with Envisage Digital, merchants can take advantage of their expertise in Magento development, custom module development, and integration services to improve their store’s overall functionality and user experience.
We can help merchants with a range of services, such as custom theme development, custom module development, Magento migration, performance optimisation, and third-party integration. By utilising these services, merchants can ensure that their Magento store is always up-to-date, optimised, and functioning at its best.
Visit our website to learn more, or contact us to discuss how we can help grow your eCommerce business.
Take the first step towards a smoother, more efficient business operation today.
Contact us at Envisage Digital, and let’s discuss how we can make your Magento 2 store a success.